As a Los Angeles Reserve Police Officer, you and your family have done a lot for our City. You have given your time — your tremendous commitment and dedication — to protect and serve your community.
The Los Angeles Police Reserve Foundation has announced the 2020 LAPRF Emeritus Scholarship. As a current LAPD Reserve Officer, you and your children (and grandchildren) are eligible to apply for a scholarship.
The deadline to send your application for the Fall is May 29, 2020. $2,500 will be awarded to the selected applicant.
Who Can Apply?
To be eligible for the LAPRF College Scholarship Program, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements in addition to being a current Los Angeles Police Reserve Officer or the child or grandchild of a Los Angeles Police Reserve Officer.
Fall College Enrollment – Intend to enroll in an accredited two or four-year college beginning in fall.
GPA – Earn a cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.2 or above.
Test Scores – Receive standardized test scores in the top 25%: SAT combined critical reading and math score of or above 1150 and/or ACT composite score of 23 or above.
Income – There is no income requirement for this scholarship.
The Los Angeles Police Reserve Foundation reviews each College Scholarship Program application individually. Your essay, recommendation letter and any of the following can be taken into account.
Academic ability and achievement: Strong academic record, academic awards and honors. In addition to GPA and college entrance exam scores, we consider participation in available advanced courses, commitment to learning, and intellectual curiosity.
Persistence: Determination and perseverance in the face of challenges, ability to set and remain focused on goals and to put in the effort needed to meet those goals in the face of obstacles.
Leadership: Ability to organize and positively influence others in and out of school (family, religious community, sports, arts, etc.).
Service to Others: Purposeful and meaningful commitment to others, which may be evidenced by participation in volunteer/community service activities.
A special emphasis will be placed on those who are pursuing a law enforcement career. Law enforcement careers span a broad range of specialties that includes investigative work and civil service at all levels. Preparatory education is drawn from university criminal justice programs, but other majors lead to law enforcement.Psychology, accounting,sociology and other degrees provide strong foundations for work in law enforcement.
What information and materials do I need in order to apply?
- Completed online application below
- High school transcript
- A letter of recommendation – Can be from the student’s school counselor, one of the applicant’s teachers or a member of the LAPD family that has known the applicant for a significant period of time and has socialized with the student several times during the past year.
- Short answer question – Why are you choosing your specific field of study? Briefly describe your long and short-term goals and where do you see yourself 10 years from now.
- Copies of college acceptance letter (if available).
- Minimum 300 (maximum 600) word essay. Choose from a topic below:
- Personal Achievements
- How you have demonstrated leadership ability both in and out of school.
- Discuss a special attribute or accomplishment that sets you apart.
- Describe your most meaningful achievements and how they relate to your future goals.
- Background and major influences
- Pick and experience from your own life and explain how it has influenced your development.
- Who in your life has been your biggest influence and why.
- How has your family background affected the way you see the world.
- Personal Achievements
When do I apply?
The LAPRF Scholarship Program application deadline is May 29, 2020. The applications are reviewed during the month of June. $2,500 will be awarded to the selected applicant.
How do I apply?
There are two ways to apple, online or by mail.
Online: If applying online, please fill out the online form below and upload, email or mail the following items:
- High School Transcript
- SAT/ACT Scores
- Letter of Recommendation
PLEASE NOTE: If applying online, prepare and save your answers on your computer and once you are ready, copy and paste them into the form and submit. You will receive a confirmation email with your completed form, however, this will ensure a second backup of your work.
Mail: Download the PDF application here, complete and mail to:
The Los Angeles Police Reserve Foundation
6350 W. 80th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90045-1445